The Kansas State High School Activities Association has an immediate opening for a full-time Publications Editor/IT Assistant.
Mail or email a completed employment application, cover letter, and resume to:
Brent Unruh, Office & Operations Manager
P.O. Box 495
Topeka, KS 66601-0495
*NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
The employment application can be accessed by going to www.kshsaa.org.
Application deadline: August 19th, 2013
Salary based upon education, experience, and qualifications
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
§ Desktop Publishing:
- Operate desktop publishing software and equipment to design, layout, and produce camera-ready copy.
- View monitors for visual representation of work in progress and for instructions and feedback throughout process, making modifications as necessary.
- Enter text and select the size and style of type, column width and appropriate spacing for printed materials.
- Position text and art elements from a variety of databases, in a visually appealing way, in order to design print or web pages, using knowledge of type styles and size and layout patterns.
- Enter digitized data into electronic prepress system computer memory, using scanner, camera, keyboard, or mouse.
- Edit graphics and photos using appropriate software.
- Import text and art elements (electronic clip-art or electronic files) from photographs that have been scanned or produced with a digital camera.
- Prepare sample layouts for approval.
- Study layout or other design instructions to determine work to be done and sequence of operations.
- Convert various types of files for printing or the website.
- Select number of colors and determine color separations.
- Transmit publication master to printer for production into plates.
- Collaborate with supervisor and staff to produce master copies according to design specifications.
Preferred Desktop Publishing Software Experience: Adobe InDesign CS6, Adobe Illustrator CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Acrobat Professional 8, Microsoft Word 2013, Microsoft Excel 2013 and Microsoft Publisher 2013.
§ Web Design:
- Assist with the design and maintenance of the KSHSAA website, including graphic design, site navigation, and layout of content.
- Ensure the layout of content is accessible and logical; recommend improvements if necessary.
- Create visual concepts that match the content and the image of the KSHSAA; ensure easy navigation of the site.
- Update web pages on daily basis with designated content.
- Maintain games wanted and teams needed section of the website as requested by member schools.
- Contribute to the overall development of the KSHSAA website.
Preferred Web Design Software Experience:
- Adobe Dreamweaver CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Fireworks CS6
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with cross-browser and cross-platform issues (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc.)
§ Information Technology:
- Assist in the development of strategies for maximum benefit and long-term enhancement and upgrade of existing KSHSAA computer system and equipment.
- Assist with development/implementation of internally and externally written programs for KSHSAA tournament and event administration.
- Assist with administration of a Windows 2012 Virtual Network environment with at least 25 workstations, and several network printers.
- Be experienced with Windows 2012 & 2008 Server, Exchange 2010, and various Windows desktop platforms.
- Be experienced with Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel.
§ Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director, Director of Information Systems, or Office & Operations Manager
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
§ Be able to work collaboratively as a team for design, yet work independently and proactively for development.
§ Possess excellent communications skills, including the ability to perform end-user interaction in extracting requirements, clarifications, and presenting problems and solutions.
§ Possess the following personal characteristics:
- Dependable, reliable, and demonstrate a strong work ethic
- Passion for education based interscholastic sports and activities
- Demonstrate focused energy, with a "work hard, work smart style"
- Be an active learner and have a willingness to easily and comfortably share insights and knowledge
- Understand technical issues, but not become mired in them
- Ethics beyond reproach.
- Willingness to work outside of comfort zone
KSHSAA STAFF BENEFITS SUMMARY:
§ Paid sick & vacation leave
§ KPERS retirement system
§ Group health and dental insurance
§ 125 Plan
THE KSHSAA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE IN THE EMPLOYMENT, PROMOTION, TRANSFER, WAGES AND SALARIES, OR RECORDKEEPING ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, SEX, OR AGE.